Search This Blog

Saturday, September 5, 2009

Whew, First Week Done!

Went to bed at 8:30 or 9:00 every night this week. Makes me wonder if I can keep this up for ten more years like I planned.

When I issue books to students, I have them put their "last name, first name" on a notecard, along with the name, condition, and number of the book they've been given. In Madeline Hunter fashion, I modeled it on the board using my name so they could SEE what I meant. When I collected the cards, one student had turned his in with my name at the top, just as I had put it on the board. Oh great, a smart aleck I thought. When I confronted him, he got embarrassed, "That's what you showed us to do." Love those literal learners.

First unit for juniors is the Native American Unit. Began with reading "High Horse's Courting," from Black Elk Speaks. All could relate to the "sick in the belly" feeling of liking someone and wondering if that person liked you back---a cross-cultural connection. Can't wait to study Wounded Knee and watch Lakota Woman.

Very impressed with my AP class. So much fun to be in a room with those who love to read and write. Yay!

Our President wants to talk to students about the importance of education. On the first day of school I shared an article about B.B King who wishes he'd had the chance to graduate from high school and college. Said he'd major in computers and minor in music.

Really confused about the fear factor that some citizens are voicing about letting our students hear this address. Too political, they say? Doesn't freedom of speech apply to the President, too? If we are to be good teachers, citizens, and parents, shouldn't we encourage our kids to hear the President out and then discuss his message?

We're educating kids, not ostriches.

No comments: