Search This Blog

Friday, August 20, 2010

Shoo!

For a few days the humidity cleared and we slept with the windows and patio doors open. We were serenaded by the frogs croaking rhythmically in the trees, while the cicadas sang the lullaby. An easy breeze played with the curtains, and it was almost like camping, maybe too much so.

At 2:00 a.m. I was awakened by a noise out on the deck. I listened, still as could be, and sure enough there it was again. Last summer there were a number of break-ins by someone who entered homes in the early morning in search of purses, cameras and easy-to-carry valuables lying around. Some friends of ours awakened in time to frighten her away and warned us to be vigilant and keep doors locked.

I got up, and by that time the dog was barking wildly and trying to jump through the screen door. I flipped the outside light on. And, there they were, the little rascals: one on my lounge chair, one tightrope walking on the rail of the deck, and the other inspecting the gas grill.

There was a party on our deck, and the baby raccoons were having a good 'ol time.

I watched as they gathered at the grill, for they smelled food, or what was left of it. One crawled on top and was trying to open the lid, while the others inspected the bottom and licked the grease from the deck, the bottom of the grill, as well as the propane tank.

Okay, they were cute, but enough fun for one night; it's time to go back to bed. I grabbed the broom and shooed them. They sat there and looked at me until I began to wave the broom about. They slowly walked away and then turned to watch me like I was their entertainment, so I put the broom down and slid it across the deck at their feet, and they took off running down the steps.

Hmpf. Got rid of you, you little stinkers!

I went back to bed, but not two minutes later I heard a tapping sound, over and over. What were they up to now? I flipped the light on again, and there they were playing with the broom, hitting it with their paws and watching it rock back and forth as it hung off the edge of the deck. Then, they went back to the grill to try to figure out how to get inside to scavenge the bits of food they knew were hidden in there.

Yes, they were adorable, waddling around, chattering at each other, like cartoon characters or something: Huey, Dewey, and Louie, or Moe, Larry and Curly or the Three Musketeers. But, enough is enough. I've got to get some sleep.

How do I get rid of the scamps, though? They didn't really seem to afraid of me or my broom, and I didn't want to sic the dogs on them for fear of an all out battle of bites and scratches. I didn't have a BB-gun and probably wouldn't use it if I did.

I went to the sink and filled a big cup with water and ventured onto the deck. All three of them sat by the grill and looked up at me with shining mischievious eyes, like, "What ya gonna do now, sucka?" I was about six feet away, and I threw the water over them and they high-tailed it outta there and never came back.

My husband and daughter slept through the whole thing. When I told them about our early morning visitors, they thought I'd been dreaming---until I showed them the evidence. All the little pawprints had dried on the deck and left a trail from the grill and down the steps.

No comments: