Search This Blog

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Teacher Inservice

My previous posts have read more like articles. I will occasionally post one of those, but they take longer to write---and my first day of inservice for school was yesterday. That means less time. So, to keep writing on a daily basis, I've decided to post more often and keep it more casual, for now.

Going back to school after a summer break is like jumping in cold water on a hot day. It feels good, but it's still a shock. My pre-school jitter dreams began last week, so I know it's that time of year. My dreams range from going to school to find out they've moved my classroom on me, and I look and look and darned if I can find it. Another has to do with students showing up and I'm not ready. Yup, not a lesson in sight and there I stand wondering what to do.

Today we had technology training. We have a new electronic gradebook program that goes along with our attendance software, so it should make life a lot easier and save time. But, as Thoreau noticed, "We don't ride the railroad, the railroad rides upon us." Technological advances ease our lives, but then we are expected to do more with that extra time. And, sometimes the "more to do" can be more drudgery that the original task the technology replaced. Still, I wouldn't go back to keeping grades by hand and adding them up with a calculator. Nope. So, bring on the extra work.

The school without kids is peaceful, but hollow. Schools are meant to be filled with students. I'm looking forward to Tuesday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heh. I wonder if the students realize that the teachers have anxiety dreams about them...